Thursday 20 November 2014

Ultimate Chocolate Mug Cake | Recipe

For me chocolate cravings always come at the most inconvenient time. They usually happen when there is nothing chocolatey in my house, it's dark/raining outside and i'm normally already in my PJs so there is no way I am venturing to a shop. This is when the ingenious invention of mug cakes come into play.
Basically a 'mug cake' is all the ingredients to make a normal cake but downsized to a single serving, mixed together in a mug and cooked in a microwave. This whole process takes about 3 minutes so is perfect for when you in desperate need of a sweet treat. I've experimented with a few different recipes I've found online - some have been great, others disastrous - and I have come up with the Ultimate Chocolate Mug Cake.

Here's how you do it:

Ingredients:
28g melted butter
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon raspberry jam
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
4 tablespoons plain flour

Method:
1. In a mug melt the butter in the microwave.
2. Add the water, vanilla, jam and salt to the mug of melted butter. Whisk well with a fork.
3. Add cocoa powder, whisk well.
4. Add sugar, whisk well.
5. Add flour, whisk well.
6. Microwave for 60-90 seconds depending on how gooey you want the centre.
7. Wait for a minute or two then enjoy your delicious chocolate treat.

It is super important to make sure everything is mixed together and is a smooth even mixture before microwaving it. I sometimes eat this with a dollop of ice cream served nicely on another plate, or I just grab a spoon and eat it straight out of the mug! It's so simple and quick to make and really does satisfy those chocolate cravings without having to leave the house. Also feel free to add in your own extras such as chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, nuts, peanut butter - anything you fancy!

Let me know if you try this out.
Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment